UFC star Conor McGregor arrested after police say he smashed a fan’s phone

12 MAR 19 05:39 ET

(CNN) — A fan just wanted a picture with Ultimate Fighting Championship star Conor McGregor, but Miami police say McGregor wasn’t having it.

The fan and McGregor were leaving the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel Monday morning when the fan tried to take a picture with the fighter with a cell phone, according to a police report. McGregor then slapped the phone out of the fan’s hand and stomped on the phone several times.

Police say McGregor picked up the phone and walked away with it. The fan said the phone was valued at $1,000.

McGregor was arrested on charges of felony strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief.

CNN has reached out to McGregor’s press team, the victim and the UFC.

McGregor was previously handed a six-month suspension and fined $50,000 after an October post-fight brawl with Khabib Nurmagomedov, who scaled the octagon to launch an attack on McGregor’s team after defeating the Irishman to maintain his unbeaten 27-0 record last year.

Members of Nurmagomedov’s team were also involved in a fracas with the beaten McGregor.

Last April, McGregor was charged with assault, attempted assault and criminal mischief after he and others allegedly attacked a bus carrying UFC fighters at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

The incident left at least two athletes injured and unable to fight at the UFC 223 event two nights later.

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that the fights the two athletes missed were scheduled two days later.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

The Trump Administration is cutting almost one-billion dollars from federal funding for California’s high-speed rail.

The Trump Administration is cutting almost one-billion dollars from federal funding for California’s high-speed rail.

  http://images.tritondigitalcms.com/6616/sites/320/2019/05/16144006/Rail-Cash-V1-KT.mp3 By Kevin Tripp, KABC The US Department of Transportation says they’re cutting the funds because California is failing to make progress on the project. They’re halting a 929-million dollar grant that’s part of a 2010 agreement. Governor Gavin Newsom says the decision is illegal. The Trump Administration is also considering asking California to…Continue Reading

SF journalist’s home raided over confidential source

SF journalist’s home raided over confidential source

Freelance journalist Bryan Carmody found himself the target of San Francisco police after he refused to identify a confidential source in the death of the city’s longtime public defender, Jeff Adachi. “They seized 55 items from my home while they were in the process of searching my home,” Carmody said on 790 KABC’s The Morning…Continue Reading