State Dept. warns Americans of kidnapping risk in 35 nations, including parts of Africa and Mexico

11 APR 19 07:09 ET

(CNN) — The US State Department has updated its travel advisories for 35 countries with a new indicator to highlight the risk of kidnapping and hostage taking.

The announcement comes days after American tourist Kimberly Sue Endicott and her tour guide were rescued by security forces after being abducted in Uganda’s Queen Elizabeth National Park.

High-threat countries including Uganda will now be labeled with a “K” in order to “communicate more clearly to US citizens the risks of kidnapping and hostage taking by criminal and terrorist actors around the world,” the department said Tuesday.

Travel advisories the following countries have been updated to include the “K” indicator: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Colombia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Mali, Mexico, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Russian Federation, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine (in Russian-controlled eastern Ukraine), Venezuela, and Yemen.

Endicott and her guide were abducted at gunpoint while on a game drive last week, according to the Ugandan Tourism Board and Ugandan police.

Four other people were taken at the same time, but they were freed while Endicott and her driver were taken from the park, officials said.

The State Department said it was aware of the rescue.

“We are aware of reports that a US citizen hostage was recovered on April 7 by Ugandan security officials,” a State Department spokesperson told CNN. “Privacy considerations prevent us from commenting further at this time.”

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

The Trump Administration is cutting almost one-billion dollars from federal funding for California’s high-speed rail.

The Trump Administration is cutting almost one-billion dollars from federal funding for California’s high-speed rail.

  http://images.tritondigitalcms.com/6616/sites/320/2019/05/16144006/Rail-Cash-V1-KT.mp3 By Kevin Tripp, KABC The US Department of Transportation says they’re cutting the funds because California is failing to make progress on the project. They’re halting a 929-million dollar grant that’s part of a 2010 agreement. Governor Gavin Newsom says the decision is illegal. The Trump Administration is also considering asking California to…Continue Reading

SF journalist’s home raided over confidential source

SF journalist’s home raided over confidential source

Freelance journalist Bryan Carmody found himself the target of San Francisco police after he refused to identify a confidential source in the death of the city’s longtime public defender, Jeff Adachi. “They seized 55 items from my home while they were in the process of searching my home,” Carmody said on 790 KABC’s The Morning…Continue Reading