Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido calls for US help in letter.

By Flora Charner and Tatiana Arias, CNN

Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido is calling more openly than ever for US assistance, as he continues to seek fresh elections in the country.

In a letter posted early Monday, Carlos Vecchio — Guaido’s appointed ambassador to the US — requested a meeting between the US Southern Command and Guaido’s representatives. The May 11 letter was addressed to US Adm. Craig S. Faller, who heads the Southern Command and who had previously voiced support for Guaido’s movement on the official Twitter account of the Southern Command.

Venezuela’s opposition movement would “welcome strategic and operational planning so that we may fulfill our constitutional obligation to the Venezuelan people,” Vecchio wrote to Faller. It did not call for military action specifically.

For months, the US has refused to rule out military action in support of Guaido’s movement. However, US President Donald Trump has also urged caution among senior advisers moving forward, and expressed frustration that some aides were openly hinting at a US military intervention in Venezuela, according to officials familiar with the matter.

Guaido is Venezuela’s National Assembly President, recognized as the country’s legitimate interim president by more than 50 countries, including the United States. As momentum slows in the nationwide protests that he regularly organizes, Guaido has begun to eye new strategies for political change in the country.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s administration dismissed the letter, with Vice President Delcy Rodriguez saying during a nationally televised press conference that her council read and rejected Vecchio’s request. “Asking for a military intervention in Venezuela” was an attempt to destabilize the country, Rodriguez said.

The letter follows a speech that Guaido gave in Caracas on Saturday, when he echoed Donald Trump’s words, saying that “all options are on the table” and argued that a foreign “intervention” had already taken place in Venezuela — not by the US, but by Cuba, which supports Maduro’s government.

The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

The Trump Administration is cutting almost one-billion dollars from federal funding for California’s high-speed rail.

The Trump Administration is cutting almost one-billion dollars from federal funding for California’s high-speed rail.

  http://images.tritondigitalcms.com/6616/sites/320/2019/05/16144006/Rail-Cash-V1-KT.mp3 By Kevin Tripp, KABC The US Department of Transportation says they’re cutting the funds because California is failing to make progress on the project. They’re halting a 929-million dollar grant that’s part of a 2010 agreement. Governor Gavin Newsom says the decision is illegal. The Trump Administration is also considering asking California to…Continue Reading

SF journalist’s home raided over confidential source

SF journalist’s home raided over confidential source

Freelance journalist Bryan Carmody found himself the target of San Francisco police after he refused to identify a confidential source in the death of the city’s longtime public defender, Jeff Adachi. “They seized 55 items from my home while they were in the process of searching my home,” Carmody said on 790 KABC’s The Morning…Continue Reading