Northridge Kidnapping Update
April 1, 2013
Updated April 1, 2013 2:20pm
Tobias Summers was ID'ed over the weekend as the sole suspect in the abduction of a 10-year-old Northridge girl last week. His car was impounded by police over the weekend and the ex-con has an extensive record. Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese says this is a front-burner case for LAPD detectives.
Police have arrested a suspect in last week’s kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl from her family's home in Northridge. The suspect is 29-year-old Daniel Martinez of West Hills. He was arrested early yesterday morning in the 18-thousand, 200-block block of Rayden Street in Northridge. He’s being held at the LAPD’s Metropolitan Jail, booked on kidnapping charges and being held on a million dollars bail.
Last week, the girl told police two men had kidnapped her. But over the weekend, police announced only the search for 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers. He’s still at large and police believe he may have shaved his head to change his appearance. The search for Summers is now focusing on the San Diego area.
Updated April 1, 2013 1:20pm
An arrest has been made in last week’s kidnapping of that 10-year-old Northridge girl. He’s not Tobias Dustin Summers, the man police have launched a public manhunt to capture. The LAPD has identified the arrested man as 29-year-old Daniel Martinez of West Hills. Detectives say they gathered information during the weekend that led to Martinez's arrest in Northridge.
Bond was set at $1 million. Police declined to discuss how the two men knew each other. Meantime, the search for Summers has expanded to the San Diego area, Smith said at a mid-day news conference. Smith said that Summers may have shaved his head to alter his appearance.
By Michael Linder
KABC News Room