US deploying carrier and bomber task force in response to ‘troubling’ Iran actions

By Kate Sullivan and Barbara Starr, CNN

The US is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region in the Middle East in response to “troubling” warnings from Iran, the White House announced Sunday.

A US official with direct knowledge of the situation tells CNN the threats were against both US maritime and land-based forces in the Middle East. The deployments are aimed specifically at deterring any Iranian military actions, the official added.

A statement from US national security adviser John Bolton reads, “In response to a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings, the United States is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force.”

“The United States is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or regular Iranian forces,” the statement continues.

Two US officials tell CNN that the very public statements are aimed at deterring Iran. There is no indication any action by Iran is imminent.

Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan approved the deployments on Sunday because of “clear indications that Iranian and Iranian proxy forces are making preparations to possibly attack US forces in the region (Middle East),” according to the US official.

The bomber task force is making preparations to get underway.

Department of Defense spokesman Chris Sherwood told CNN in a statement, “I can confirm that the Department of Defense is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the U.S. Central Command region.”

This story has been updated.

The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Update from the Bahamas as heard on the Morning Drive

Update from the Bahamas as heard on the Morning Drive

Kimberly Mullings reporting from Freeport, Bahamas described the surreal conditions wrought by Hurricane Dorian on Grand Bahama Island. She told Jillian and John about “seeing people leaving literally in their underwear trying to seek shelter … Some people have three story homes and they had to hang out in their attics for over 24 hours.…Continue Reading

West Texas gunman was fired from job hours before massacre.

West Texas gunman was fired from job hours before massacre.

By Faith Karimi, Ed Lavandera and Christina Maxouris, CNN The 36-year-old gunman who left seven people dead in a West Texas killing rampage had been fired from his job hours before the massacre began, The New York Times reported, citing unnamed officials. CNN is working to learn more details, but authorities have repeatedly cautioned that they have yet…Continue Reading