Tim Conway, star of the ‘Carol Burnett Show,’ dies at 85

By Chloe Melas, CNN

Actor and comedian Tim Conway, best known for his work on “The Carol Burnett Show,” died on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, according to his publicist.

Conway was 85.

He had been battling a longtime illness prior to his death, Howard Bragman, Conway’s representative, told CNN. He was not suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, Bragman said.

Conway won three Emmys for co-starring in “The Carol Burnett Show,” which ran from 1967 to 1978, and a fourth as a member of its writing team. He also briefly headlined his own variety series and co-starred in several Disney live-action comedies during the ’70s, such as “The Apple Dumpling Gang” and “The Shaggy D.A.”

Before then, he starred as bumbling Ensign Charles Parker in the comedy “McHale’s Navy,” from 1962 to 1966.

In his later years, Conway did numerous guest appearances — winning additional Emmys for roles in the sitcoms “Coach” and “30 Rock” — and voiceover work in animation, including “SpongeBob Squarepants.”

Conway’s improvisational antics frequently cracked up his co-stars, foremost among them Harvey Korman.

“I’m heartbroken. He was one in a million, not only as a brilliant comedian but as a loving human being,” Burnett said about Conway in a statement to CNN. “I cherish the times we had together both on the screen and off. He’ll be in my heart forever.”

Burnett will dedicate a previously scheduled performance of her one-woman show, “An Evening of Laughter and Reflection Where the Audience Asks Questions,” to Conway’s memory on Tuesday night in North Carolina.

Conway’s longtime colleague, Vicki Lawrence, also paid tribute.

“Hysterical, crazy, bold, fearless, humble, kind, adorable… all synonyms for Tim Conway,” Lawrence said in a statement. “I am so lucky to ever have shared a stage with him. Harvey and Tim are together again…the angels are laughing out loud tonight.”

Conway was married twice, first to Mary Anne Dalton from 1961 to 1978; they had six children. He is survived by his wife of more than 30 years, Charlene Fusco.

The family has asked that instead of gifts, donations be made to the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health at the Cleveland Clinic in Las Vegas.

The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Was there a second shooter at Las Vegas massacre?

Was there a second shooter at Las Vegas massacre?

A witness and respected attorney says a key factor in the 2017 Las Vegas outdoor concert massacre is being overlooked.  Attorney Brian Claypool was in the crowd at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival when the shots were fired. “I personally believe there was more than one shooter.” Claypool adds, “When you’re in the middle of a shooting,…Continue Reading

Update from the Bahamas as heard on the Morning Drive

Update from the Bahamas as heard on the Morning Drive

Kimberly Mullings reporting from Freeport, Bahamas described the surreal conditions wrought by Hurricane Dorian on Grand Bahama Island. She told Jillian and John about “seeing people leaving literally in their underwear trying to seek shelter … Some people have three story homes and they had to hang out in their attics for over 24 hours.…Continue Reading

West Texas gunman was fired from job hours before massacre.

West Texas gunman was fired from job hours before massacre.

By Faith Karimi, Ed Lavandera and Christina Maxouris, CNN The 36-year-old gunman who left seven people dead in a West Texas killing rampage had been fired from his job hours before the massacre began, The New York Times reported, citing unnamed officials. CNN is working to learn more details, but authorities have repeatedly cautioned that they have yet…Continue Reading